The ornaments pictured above were created by Hermann Zapf in 1998 for Linotype. According to thebookdesigner.com, “Zapfino is an organic and fluid calligraphic script font that comes with dozens of alternate and “swash” characters so you can really customize it.” The ornaments look hand-drawn in calligraphy making them unique and different.
I think these ornaments would be used strategically in a design that looks organic or hand-drawn. They would fit in well with the line weight contrast of such designs using calligraphy-like type.
There are many resources on the web for typography. I looked into the website Type Connection, it is very useful and interactive.
When you first open the page you choose which main character you want to match. Then you choose which strategy you want to use to find a font match; a font that will look good with the main character font you chose. Lastly, you can read the biographies of other fonts and chose a match for the main character font. Then you send them on a date and the site tells you whether they are a good match or not.
I think the site is good to know about. It is fun and interactive, you learn about other typefaces, and are able to find font matches that will work well together. Below are some screenshots of when I was exploring the website.
For my online font library I decided to explore Adobe Typekit. Typekit is a great tool for graphic designers and other designers who use typography.
Out of all the fonts this online library has to offer I chose Paralucent Medium and Mr Eaves Modern. Both of these fonts are San Serif but I think they work well together (as seen below). The Paralucent font is bolder and has a curvy feeling, while Mr Eaves has a more rigid and straight character. These differences create a hierarchy when used together, as seen in the sample heading and sub-heading. These fonts could be used together in a potential website!
I choose the image above because of the great use of the expressive text that goes along with the dancer. The letters have a flowing, wispy, dance feeling to them. It gives the image the feeling of movement and elegance. I really enjoy this image and will use this as inspiration for my expressive type project.
National Geographic is well-known for their use of amazing photography throughout their magazines. So, I decided to do some research on their table of contents. During my research I found the table of contents attached below:
This specific table of contents in their December 2009 magazine caught my attention.
The use of color to draw attention to the page numbers, department titles, and the magazines addition/date; helps the reader decided on what page or section of the magazine they want to visit.
The use of the photo down the center of the page creates a division between the features and departments, but also creates a mood for the rest of the magazine. The way this photo was used to create this effect was well-designed.
As for the underlying grid, I am not completely sure what was used. In a way it looks like a modular grid but I don’t think it is symmetrical enough, but the grid has 3 obvious columns.
I plan to use elements from this table of contents to help draw inspiration for my project on modern farmer.
The specimen book that stood out from the class was Gill Sans by Sarah Tucker. Not only did she go above and beyond with the amount of pages that were required but the booklet was carefully designed.
She created patterns using the word “Gill Sans” which is clever; she also created pages with eye catching words that give a feel for the font with a few words emphasized by color. Her use of color for the entire booklet is well thought out, the use of yellow and salmon gives the booklet a pop and modern feel. She gives just the right amount of information (history, character sets, family, different leading, etc.) without over loading the reader with unnecessary information.
The only suggestion I have is to provide a table of contents or something similar, so the reader knows exactly where in the book a specific element is located. Overall, the specimen book is successful.
The snowball schedule attached below has organization by the use of hierarchy through color and font. The use of the different fonts for each event (some larger than others) creates a hierarchy of importance. Also the use of two different tones of blue for the different locations is successful. The ribbons that include the dates is also a good technique to bring that information to the foreground. The image behind the title, location, and date creates depth and is overall successful because of the use of minimal color.
I think this particular schedule is successful. The only thing I would change is the use of all the fonts. Some people might find this distracting or confusing; I don’t feel this way. The use of the different blues is what I feel keeps the schedule unified.